Thursday, August 29, 2013



I visited a friend of mine last week at her house out in Long Island. She’s married, with two kids under the age of four. She left her job in real estate to be a stay at home mom. When I first walked in the door she led me to the living room where she’d put out drinks and appetizers. Her house was immaculate, her kids were tidy and quietly playing, and I could smell dinner being cooked. It blew my mind, and I have to admit, it made me feel less.

We chatted about our lives, and who we’d run into lately, people from the old crowd, current events, and the whole time she was just so calm and collected, even as the kids spilled their drinks and jumped on the furniture.
As the evening wound down, I just had to ask her how she did it all. She looked at me with a smile, and said, “I just have too.” She continued on, telling me about how she never had a minute to herself, and how sometimes she regretted leaving her job. She said it wasn't easy, but it was worth it to spend time with the kids.

I left feeling somewhat embarrassed that I wasn't doing as much as I could. I walked into my house, looked around and thought, I’m going to try.

Working a full time job, and taking care of the home is not easy. When I finish working the last thing I want to do is clean the dishes, or do laundry. But what I've learnt is that doing those things, is what makes a house a home.

So this week, I pushed myself to do a little cleaning everyday- by Wednesday it became maintenance really, and cooking something good for dinner. And can I say, I am so satisfied. Walking into my home now, to a clean house, and a full refrigerator makes me feel like I’m getting somewhere.

This may seem like a no-brainer to some women, but it’s not easy for me. I read blogs where women sew clothes for their kids, or make drapes, and clean the house, and cook three meals a day, and have time to participate in the PA. These women are superwomen. I am not, yet.



The meals I cooked this week:



No comments:

Post a Comment